Friday, February 16, 2007

I can taste the victory

Many months ago, I was informed by my health insurance provider that my claims would not be paid due to my account being under medical review. Luckily they still pay for my insulin, but they are not paying for my diabetes education ($1000 roughly) or my bloodsugar test strips ($150/mo).

My account is still under "medical review". I call weekly to check on the "status" and am always told the same thing:
They are waiting on my medical records from my primary physician.

They claim to have sent the request to my doctor twice, and my doctor's office claims to have never received the request.

So I went to the doctor's office, filled out the forms myself, and had them fax the papers to the appropriate location.

That was 3 weeks ago, and they are still "waiting for medical records" from my doctor. Oh, and they added a second doctor to the list (a doctor I haven't seen in about 5 years, back when I was in college).

Today though, there was progress. By some miracle, a very sweet customer service rep (whom I'm sure will be punished for this) gave me the full name and phone number of the person doing my "review".

My next call will not be a nice one. I will plainly ask what is taking so long, explain the efforts I have taken to accommodate their incompetence, and make it clear that I am ready to take this issue to the Colorado Health Insurance review board if the issue is not PROMPTLY resolved.

There, I had to get that out of my system. A breakthrough like this deserved a rant. It's not often you break through the customer service 1-800-# hell and bureaucracy to actually get a name and phone number of the person responsible.