Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Some people just wouldn't understand

I've got my water proof, shorts-convertable pants on, smartwool socks, a dampened bandana on my head to keep me cool, and quick drying Underarmour on. My pack is properly adjusted so the weight rests on my hips instead of my shoulders, and my sippy straw is right where I can reach it with a slight turn of my head. We're about 2 miles into our 12-mile round trip hike.

But we're not hiking.

We're spinning in circles.

I have my hiking-pole-converted-to-monopod stuck in the ground with my camera on top, offset 60mm backwards so I can rotate around the focal point in the lens. I am carefully spinning around that point, taking a picture approximately every 45 degrees. Rotating around the focal point eliminates parallax, and is important when creating a 360 degree panorama.

Tim stands 10 feet away also spinning circles, but he is calibrating his GPS's compass with a magnetic compass.

It was at this point I realized maybe this is why I haven't invited too many people to join us on these hikes. Some people might just think we're a little odd.